Friday, March 27, 2020

Strength and Hope

Strength and Hope by Sara Harley
Strength and Hope
Every day, I head out with one of my dogs and my camera. We walk along the LaHave River and through the forest trails. This year, I decided to record some of the sights along the way. I call this series "Trailings" and have just wrapped up the Winter section. I plan to do this for the whole year. Season by season, I will capture things that catch my eye. A few might be picturesque landscapes, but many will be tiny, intimate details that catch my eye. 

The above image is the final image in my Winter Trailings series. Unless you've been living under a rock, you know that the world is facing the Covid-19 pandemic. One third of the world has shut down. New terms have come into our vocabularies...."social distancing", "self isolation", "flattening the curve", and we are facing a new life, hopefully temporary, that distances us from our families, friends,and loved ones.

I decided to create a double exposure of two images that I took on a recent walk. Trees have always been a symbol of strength for me. This cluster of birch trees are standing closely together at the edge of a parking lot of a park that has been shut down to keep people apart. The second image is a close up of a rusted vehicle sitting in the woods, just off one of the trails I walk on daily. An ugly piece of garbage, but full of lovely colours in shades of blue and yellow and pink.
I combined the two photographs to create one image, an image that says "strength" and "hope" to me. We may be physically apart, but if we stand together, we can be strong. No matter what the future holds, there will always be some beauty to be found and some hope to carry on.
Ten years ago, when I was diagnosed with breast cancer, I wrote an inspirational piece to give myself courage. It seems fitting to recirculate it now.
My roots will ground me as I reach for my dreams.
With each new season, I will blossom and grow.
When ill winds blow, I will bend, but not break.
I will nurture and protect those who take shelter with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

It's great to hear from you! I appreciate your comments.